Because of a recent series of unfortunate events, stress levels have been very high. Here are some things I do to unlock those muscles and get rid of those worries (for the time being, at least) 🙂
1. get a massage,
2. take ten minutes to meditate – breathe in…breathe out….
3. lay out in the hammock and take a nap, or just take the time to close your eyes and breathe a little,
4. turn off all cell phones and computers and read a happy, pleasant book (The Secret Lives of Dresses and Fried Green Tomatoes are both wonderful),
5. take a minute to write down all the things you are thankful for (do this nightly, if you can.) Pick out a nice, pretty journal and call it your gratitude journal. I have been keeping one for over two years now and have found that even if I thought I had an awful day, I can always find something that gave me joy,
6. put on a face mask (Queen Helene’s Mint Jelupe mask will make you relaxed and cool as a cucumber! I highly recommend it) and read a magazine,
7. curl up with a warm, fluffy kitten. A stuffed animal will do nicely if there isn’t a kitten in sight.
8. buy some glow in the dark stars and stick them on the ceiling over your bed. Then if you are having trouble sleeping because you’re worried about someone or something, (I’m trying to put this in a way that doesn’t sound tacky!) imagine your worries floating up into the stars and staying there as long as you need them to. You’ll feel a lot better when you do 🙂
9. try to remember to differentiate your problems from others’ problems. Pick your battles.
10. go for a morning walk or swim,
11. and last but not least, my favorite: eat chocolate. Get a pretty, glass jar and fill it with pieces of dark chocolate that you can eat whenever you’re stressed, moody or just want a piece!